This program aims to help graduate students maintain regular progress on their dissertations during the academic year, as well as introduce various strategies and resources available to them.
Groups will include approximately eight participants each and will meet once a week. Each three-hour meeting will consist of about an hour of group discussion facilitated by a WTS graduate tutor on topics which may include writing and motivational strategies. Discussion will be followed by 5-10 minutes in which group members share their progress since the last meeting and set goals for the following two hours of the session.
The remaining two hours will be devoted to structured writing time. While this time will be focused on individual work, the WTS facilitator and other members of the writing group will be nearby to answer any questions and offer support.
- Commit to regular, punctual attendance for the full fourteen-week session
- Share their experiences writing on a weekly basis with progress updates, and on a reflective basis by describing their writing habits and goals
- Learn about the graduate school experience in other disciplines
- Support their fellow participants in positive solidarity
Dissertation Group Facilitators will
- Lead a 45-60 minute discussion at the beginning of each session, and a 15-minute check-in at the end of each session
- Facilitate group discussion of goals, strategies, and long-term writing plans
- Encourage participants to remain on-task and achieve their goals with check-ins
- Be available to offer advice or feedback on the writing process
We ask that all participants
- Have successfully defended their dissertation proposal or be writing substantial portions of their actual dissertation as part of the proposal (advisor’s acknowledgement required)
- Commit to attendance at all sessions except for rare exceptions such as days on which they are aware for a conference, family emergency, or urgent health problem
- Fully complete application materials per instructions; unfortunately, we cannot consider incomplete applications
For information or questions about the program, please contact Samantha Demmerle at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications go out around each August and December; please check the CPSG announcements, emails from your departmental administrator, or email Samantha directly for the application.